The concept of contemporary decorating has changed over the years. It used to be that contemporary homes were those homes with abundant windows; they would have no other type of window covering at all. Now contemporary decorating is more about finding creative uses for those few windows you do have, while still emphasizing the “home” aspect of the house. Here are some ideas from the contemporary home design experts about incorporating glass into your contemporary decor:
* Use glass to create a wall. A unique way of incorporating glass into your contemporary home design is to create a glass wall space, perhaps in the shape of a mirror, that is between your living room and dining room. You could then include a display of your decorative accessories and ornaments. This would not only give your contemporary home design a unique look, but also be a practical way to use your limited space. Try to divide a large room into two separate zones with a glass wall.
* Use a glass partition as a mirror. This is an unusual contemporary home design idea that provides light while also defining your interior space. You can easily find glass partitions that are large enough to define your space, or you can use partitions made of clear, frosted, or colored glass. These partitions will either stand alone or can be paired with other contemporary home design elements. In this way you can define out the shape of your room and at the same time provide light through the glass.
* Add a partition to your kitchen. Because contemporary home design focuses so much on functionality, the kitchen is a popular place to add partitions. A small glass-enclosed cabinet is ideal. You can use this to store linens or prepare a meal, or even just place a vase with flowers.
* Hang a framed piece of art over a glass coffee table. framed | glass | art | * | use} * Keep your contemporary rug in its contemporary spot. Remember, contemporary rugs don’t have to be dull and boring. You can find art Deco rugs that feature bold geometric shapes and bold colors. Choose an art Deco rug that has an interesting geometric design. Or if you want to keep it simple to choose a contemporary design rug that is plain and black.
* Install a chandelier over a glass coffee table. This might sound strange, but a chandelier really completes a contemporary home. The light it gives off will create a perfect ambiance for any room. If you do not have a chandelier or if you can’t fit one through the glass doorway, you can always hang a pendant light instead. The pendant lights will give off a softer light and add a touch of elegance to your contemporary home.
Contemporary home decor can be very beautiful. All you need is a little creativity to make it come alive. Use glass mirrors to reflect light in your space. Try hanging modern art on the glass shelves. Or if you are feeling adventurous you could try putting a contemporary rug down on your glass shelves.
* An interesting way to bring contemporary home decoration into your bathroom is to replace your contemporary shower curtain with a contemporary mirror. A contemporary mirror is designed with a metal frame and has two doors on either side. On the other side of the mirror you can display your favorite artwork.
* Display contemporary ceramic artwork inside a glass cabinet. You can hang a contemporary ceramic by the door. Place more than one art piece inside the cabinet. The glass cabinet can be dressed up with crystal vases or a crystal candlestick. Place a modern art piece on your counter top next to your ceramic artwork. This will complete the contemporary look.
* Keep a contemporary decor on the inside of your home as well. Add up some contemporary art prints on the wall. Use glass baskets on the windows to store your gardening tools. Or add some contemporary fabric on the windows to dress them up. These additions will not only help bring the contemporary decor into your home but will also help organize your life.
* The contemporary home will look dull without contemporary furniture. Replacing all of your contemporary home pieces with art and glass will add a touch of class. Buy a couple contemporary pieces that you really love and incorporate them into your living room, dining room or family room. Glass cabinets and glass tables are perfect for this project.